Monday, April 18, 2011

Spring Sprucing



This weekend was SO low key... not in an unproductive sense, just in a relaxing, go with the flow kind of way. We painted a couple of pots blue that we found by the dumpster.


 We covered our kitchen walls with burlap! Used to be plaid red and green wallpaper. It actually wasn't exactly a low key endeavor to be honest... but it wasn't as bad as painting either.


 And Sunday night, as we watched Discovery Chanels Human Plant, we recovered our dining room chairs. *We* - yes, Dillon jumped right in and helped with all of these projects (without being asked)... I'm very lucky!



I will be honest. Sometimes I see things in our house that I think are ugly, and feel justified in wanting to change them. Or I see something cute in a store and feel justified in buying it. Why? Partly because I do enjoy decorating as a hobby. But maybe also because I am greedy.
After this weeks decorating spree- I felt convicted. I get so excited about having things that are pretty and devote hours to reaching these goals.
But how often do I recognize when my heart is unattractive and needs changing? Or how often do I shop the bible for beautiful words? Where is my treasure? How excited and devoted am I to pursuing Christ?

Last night I picked up 'Spritual Disciplines' and opened to the bookmark, in the chapter pertaining to Stewardship/Time.  So many nuggests of wisdom spoke to me and helped encourage me in light of what I was feeling.

"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" James 4:14

"If you suddenly realized you had no more time, would you regret how you have spent your time in the past and how you spent it now?"

Putting things in perspective, I am able to see that ultimately, my home does not matter. I can enjoy decorating, but true joy and purpose comes in seeking things from above and my heart will be restless until I remember this. There is no greater, more beautiful place to live, than with Christ. And no home is warmer than the one filled with love and stewardship.

2 comments:

Emily said...

love the fabric on the chairs

30dollarweeklygrocerychallenge said...

I really need to hear that last part. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement!
Kathy