Thursday, June 11, 2009

Look for potential

A few months ago we were visiting my family, and I was telling them about this really neat Salvation Army in Dallas that has lots of good finds. My mom made a joke about thats where we'll go to get gifts for people, and Dillon said, "only gifts for mother in-laws." We all laughed but later me and Dillon were thinking it would be funny if we got her birthday present there. A few days later I left the store with this:


It was a dirty faded yellow


I really wasnt sure what I was doing to do with it at first, but eventually a thought popped in my head. It involved spray paint

And leftover fabric from these:

So here is what I did: cleaned the frame well with a wet rag, took it outside and sprayed it with several coats of white. I took my fabric and stapled it tightly around a thick piece of cardboard. I then wrote ' family ' on the outer piece of glass using a paint marker. I didnt calculate the total cost but I know it was under $5.

My mom loves homeade gifts so this turned out to be a great gift. It is simple right now, we may add some black and white photos to the inside of it someday.

4 comments:

beckylbranch said...

That looks so good! Wow! That is amazing what you did with a frame and some fabric girl!

Unknown said...

Oh.my.goodness. I love it!!!!

gran said...

Laura, What you made is very pretty and creative. I hope you were not planning on it being a suprise. Your mother reads your blog. Love granhymbel

Ryan Geyer said...

You should do a post on how you made Dillon over. You could take a picture of his cool new shoes.