Sunday, September 16, 2012

I think I can...

It's time to put on my big-girl panties. I know, I know- that phrase is tacky and over-used but today I am embracing it.

Sometimes I am my own worst enemy. I am just now realizing how true this has been in recent weeks in regards to my parenting. And how it will probably be a life-long battle, as long as I am a mother.

Since the day I found out I was pregnant with Reese I have been a sponge, soaking up any and all information on all things baby related. Really, most moms are like this and I am not alone. We try to be informed and make wise decisions. The blessing and curse of my generation is our easy access to the internet- loads of material on every topic have entered my mind and been filed away.

This is where things can turn sour. When these opinions and suggestions and theories become more important than what I know as Reese's mom to be true. Why on earth should I buy what someone else is selling? Has God not equipped me with instincts and discernment? Should I feel guilty because we do things differently? 

I DO welcome advice, and I seek it often. But I must stop comparing. I must stop second guessing myself in EVERY situation and just accept the fact that I will make mistakes but it will be okay because I will learn from them!

Advice is only helpful when it applies to your situation, to your child. It is up to me to recognize when certain things just arent going to work for us even if it worked for someone else. These differences are ok!

It is my honor to raise and care for Reese and it is my responsibility to nurture her specific needs as only I can. Her dad and I together.


2 comments:

laura jo said...

Yup!

Cassie said...

nice onesie! it's definitely hard filtering everything you hear. but, i have found that now that addy is moving i have a lot less time to be comparing... a small grace to me, for sure!