Sunday, March 28, 2010

Snakes and Dolphins

I have said it before and will say it again- I LOVE my job... truly, I don't want to take it for granted or forget how badly I wanted to be a school nurse so I remind myself (especially on hard days) of all the fun I get out of working.



For example, this weekend I got to go with the 7th graders to an overnight, behind the scenes fieldtrip to Sea World San Antonio. A student with special needs went on the trip and a nurse was needed so I happily accepted the call.


We left about 8:30 Friday morning, and of course the bus was full of loud and hyper teenagers which brought back lots of memories of youth trips and made me feel both old and young again at the same time. I brought a book to read just in case but of course most of the time driving was spent talking with everyone and getting to know the other 4 teachers that went.














After lunch at McDonalds, we headed to the Snake Farm. I was not super excited about this stop, but it turned out to be pretty neat! Other than a room full of snakes (which I did not linger in for very long!), there were several exotic animals- hyienas, zebras, monkeys, and a petting zoo.




We arrived to Sea World at 6, right as it was closing to the public. Our guides split us into different groups and we began the adventure. I didn't know what to expect but we basically walked all around the park and saw all the exhibits firsthand- killer whales, bellugas, sea lions, penguins, dolphins. We walked around touring into the night, and didnt get to our sleepsight til after 11. That night we slept in the shark tank, a huge room that glowed when the lights went out as the sharks and their shadows swam all around us- very cool!











The next morning (up at 6 am and feelin nasty with no showers) we were taken behind the park to see where the sick and new animals are kept- we pet sting rays, a baby shark, and dolphins. We loaded up afterwards and ended our trip at the Riverwalk for lunch.











While it was super fun- I must share what alot of my time was spent doing lest you think I was just along for the ride. I pushed a student around the park in his wheelchair the entire time, up and down hills for several miles I'm sure. I helped him dress and eat. Another student threw up several times on the trip and needed care. The ride home held an adventure that I can't mention but involved 45 minutes of wet wipes in a gas station bathroom. By the time we got home home Saturday evening I was quite literally "pooped"!

No comments: