Thursday, February 18, 2010

Supper Time!

It's been a while since I've updated. I like when other people write about food so I thought I could throw out a blog involving our weekly meal menu from this past week:

*Quesadillas (made with leftover shredded beef) and salad

*Homeade pizza (with red onion, bell pepper and pepperonis') and salad

*Pesto Chicken Sandwhiches with salad


-I would like to (proudly) point out the pattern of having a salad with every meal. This novel idea came to me when I was frustrated with never planning for side dishes and then realized that having a salad at every meal was the easy and healthy solution I had been looking for. I tend to think I have to change up every meal but have since changed my ways of thinking.


A few other meals I have made that have been hits recently:

*Shrimp tacos (on corn tortillas)

*Italian Suasage Tortellini soup (perfect on a cold day!)

*Peppercini sandwhiches (chuck roast in crockpot with jar of peppercini's peppers, put on a hoakie with melted cheese)


Other common meals that arent so original that I enjoy cooking:


*Poppyseed chicken

*Chicken Spaghetti

*King Ranch Chicken

*Breakfast for dinner



Now to spice it up I would like to add a few favorites that we had growing up....


*Moms spaghetti (it is NOT your typical Ragu sauce- it is true italian and SO good)

*Spaghetti and meatballs (very different from the above- much spicier)(Grans recipe)


*Chicken and sliced potatoes (Im sure it has a name - she would bake them all in a dish and the potatoes would get crispy)

*Strawberry cake

Along the same lines, I remember any time my parents would go out on a date we always had fishsticks with macaroni and cheese for dinner. I dont think I've had a fishstick since the last time we had a babysitter...

I have found that I go through phases- when we first got married cooking really scared me. I had no recipes stored in my head and not much experience in the kitchen. The second year I started feeling more comfortable. I baked alot of cheesy unhealthy dishes and lots of cookies. Third year I feel like I started cooking better- both healthier (although I did not stop making chocolate chip cookies several nights a week), tastier, more unique. And thoughout all of those years I have gone through times where I was NOT in the mood to cook anything. Luckily I now have several easy dishes that I know how to prepare when these moods come-

*Baked chicken (chicken breast rolled in seasoning/breadcrumbs) and baked

*Chicken Tacos (chicken in crockpot with salsa all day,shred, eat on a tortilla)

*Any pre-prepared meal from the meat section that just need to be cooked(seasoned tilapia, crab cakes, etc...)


Here is a random picture of shrimp tacos from a few weeks ago (with tomatoes and avacodo, nachos on the side)





I have not posted any of the recipes but feel free to comment if you want any of them~ Also feel free to share some of your favorites!



And just for memories sake, here is a picture from Valentines of us eating at one of our fav's, Macaroni Grill (after which we saw Wolfman-we highly DONT recommend it=))

No comments: