Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Do you have a favorite or cherished memory that you go to in your mind on stressful days? When I'm overwhelmed I tend to just dream of being at home on the couch with a blanket and fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies....actually that always is my hearts desire but that is besides the point! Today I came across a photo that triggered something in my soul- a place that holds special meaning because of a family vacation there many years ago...about 16 to be exact, and so today I am dreaming of the Smoky Mountains.

Our family took really awesome trips growing up-we still do in fact. A family vacation would not be complete unless at least 20 hours were spent driving to our destination, with at least 1 disaster for memories sake.

I remember driving through Tennesee for the first time and my parents tricked us into thinking we were about to pass Dolly Partons car and we all were screaming with excitement. We saw lots of bears on that trip. We camped right by a flowing river and I remember catching tadpoles and later riding down on innertubes. We had fun at Dollyworld and Pigeon Forge where we found one of my favorite Christmas ornaments that is still hung on our tree every year. One day it rained and flooded our tent and I remember my mom cried. We gathered around the fire at night to hear my dad tell his classic ghost story about when he was a little boy growing up and his friend disappeared. We hiked up to a waterfall and I fell and cut open my knee and still have the scar today. Remembering these moments leads me to be so thankful for the family I am blessed with, the moments we have shared together over the years, and reminds me that these are the things in life that matter- being with people, enjoying God beauty, making memories.