Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Something New

I have never been good at memorizing scriptures. Maybe because I never really tried to. Since January I have been memorizing a new verse every 2 weeks- a small but realistic goal for me. It is comforting knowing that I have a few words of truth locked away in my heart that I can turn to when various situations arise throughout the day.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7.

This verse encourages me when I think, "I am so lazy, I dont feel like going to run"...and then I remember that actually I have been given a spirit of self-discpline and am without excuse!

"He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge. The fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure." Isaiah 33:6

This verse gives me hope that even during these tough times in our country, He is the SURE foundation and is over all.


"Show me your ways O Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me. For you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:4-5

This is just a good verse to use when Im not sure how/what I should pray for. It echoes my hearts desire and hope.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

All of these verses have improved the quality of my days the past 2 months, much more than I expected. May the verses encourage you today as you read them~

2 comments:

alli zachry said...

Laura! I have been doing the same thing!!! Are you following Beth Moore's blog? She is amazing and offers great accountability to "spur us on" and encourage us in our walk with Christ.

I tried your yummy chicken and rice recipe Sunday night. I must say it is now a unanimous favorite in the Zachry household! THANK YOU!! I think Casey fell in love with me all over again thanks to your great recipe :)

I hope yall are doing great! Love and miss you!!

Anonymous said...

I have been making feeble attempts at memorizing verses this year - for eteen, and then I somehow don't get it done! The verse you gave, about discipline, seems like a good one for me to start with. And I may pass it on to my friends who are trying to do the same thing. :)
I like your blog, btw. wsmm