Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Saturday

So far we have done several cheap or free things here in Dallas that make me appreciate the big city and its entertainment options (there was the Chocolate Fest at Central Market, visiting open houses of million dollar homes, beautiful parks, etc..). Today however, I cannot say I am grateful for the experience we had this afternoon...

I have been reading lots of decorating blogs lately and noticed several people have found beautiful treasures at their local flea market. I love a good deal and love to shop and decorate so I decided we needed to visit one of these markets. I talked with a co-worker who suggested Traders Village in Grand Praire. I even convinced Dillon that it would be a great time.

So after sleeping in and have delicious blueberry muffins for breakfast, we got ready for the day and headed off for our adventure. As we pulled into the huge parking lot (picture six flags-seriously) we (at least me anyway) were filled with anticipation. We found a spot and began the trek towards the entrance.

First booth we pass...car parts...okay, something for everyone, right? Next booth...socks and bra's....next booth....cheap packaged toys. Hmmm. Where are the cute decorations?This feels like a nasty garage sale. We turn a corner and face a massive street of what can only be compared to as gas station knick knacks. Hideous clothes, strange pictures, dirty rugs. Dillon found a pair of illegal brass knuckles labeled as a "paperweight." We continued weaving through the crowds, thinking we would suddenly find what we were looking for. It never happened. We left, confused and annoyed. Why the swarms of people? We shall never return. That is all I have to say about that.

The day was not ruined however, as we found solace in chips and hot sauce at On the Border. Even more thrilling was the lunch special which included totrilla soup and quesadillas for 6.50! After, we went to Dillards where Dillon found 4 shirts for an amazing clearance deal and didnt spend a dime (gift cards). We are now home and I plan to make a batch of cookies and perhaps watch a movie. I love weekends!

Its funny how a day can go completely different than expected, but still be lovely indeed.

No comments: