Thursday, January 15, 2009

Work it out

Looking back on Dumas:

Wonderful job

Christmas 2008












Vegas 2008













Dogie Days 2008














When we first moved to Dumas I had just graduated nursing school and was VERY anxious about being a nurse. I really didnt have much of a choice as to where I was going to work, Dumas is a small town with 1 small hospital. So- for 2 months that is where I worked. The 3rd day of working there I walked into a room on the OB unit and caught a baby a few seconds later as it was born. A few days later I was screamed at for putting my gloves on too slowly. Frequently the nurses would send me to do tasks so they could make personal phone calls.It was...unpleasant.
(as a side note: that hospital is now in the process of starting a new graduate nurse internship and is making steps forward to be a better hospital)
I started wishing for a different job but felt stuck. I decided to bring my resume to all of the clinics in Dumas (there are about 5) just to see what would happen. Within a few weeks, I was called back by Dr. Covington, a family practicioner. They needed an RN! I was thrilled to start working a M-F 8-5 job. Little did I know just how much I would come to love that place. I have learned so much and loved so many. Finding that position helped me find MY place in Dumas and make friends that I desperately needed. The clinic where I worked was extremely efficient, and we all got along as friends would. Every Friday morning we would pray for our patients. My boss took us to Vegas after a crazy winter season. We had weekly lunches together and actually hung out with eachother outside of work. I know it was a complete blesssing and am so thankful for my time spent there.
I am now waiting to start work for Dallas ISD as a school nurse. I know its going to be a completely different setting and I cant compare it to my old job, but I do hope it proves to be more than just the place I work, and that I can make lifetime friends as I have in Dumas.

3 comments:

Darci White said...

Hi there-

So glad you stopped by and said hello! Funny thing is - you actually look familiar to me for some reason?

Did you go to Tech by any chance? My hubby and I are both from small towns in West Texas (Canyon & Friona)......Dumas isn't too far from Canyon.

Best wishes on your new job! Hope you love it and find some great friends and a happy environment! My very best friend is actually a nurse in Dallas at Texas Children's.

Anonymous said...

When God close one door, He always opens another. I know, cliche' but true.( and it just may take awhile to get the door opened ) I'll stop with all the comments now. xoxo wsmm

beckylbranch said...

I'm just catching up on reading your blog...I have some friends that are from Dumas! AR right? That is crazy! I'm glad you found a place where people loved you and appreciated you, that makes working day in and day out so much better doesn't it!