Monday, April 8, 2013

Our Kitchen

Our kitchen is bright, open and simple. It is also on the small side and lacked character when we moved in. Think cookie cutter kitchen. But good "bones" nonetheless. Thanks to blogs, Pinterest and a handy husband, I was able to envision and execute just a few changes that I think have transformed the space into something much better than it was! 

Here are a couple of "before" photos I snapped on my phone the day that we looked at this house.



And After:










What did we do? 

-Took off a couple of cabinet doors, to expose shelves. I thought this would help the room feel more open. 

-Removed a big awkward cabinet that was non-functional, and replaced it with 3 shelves. (The space to the right of the sink.)

-Hung curtains above the sink and around the sliding door. I used The Nesters technique of just clipping fabric to curtain rod rings.

-Put up chalkboard paper where the pantry wall is.

-First we painted the brown wall to a bright blue but I was't crazy about it. Most recently we installed a plank wall and painted it white. (We = Dillon.)

-I have attempted to declutter our counter tops as much as possible- the mixer and coffee maker made the cut, but we put away random bowls, blenders, appliances that we rarely use. Because we have such limited counter space this is keeps things feeling open and clean.


The best part of these re-dos is that they were all Cheap! I paid for every change with birthday and Christmas money. Then I just put Dillon to work! 

Still hoping to add a jute rug at some point, maybe do a tile backsplash. And if we win the lottery- maybe new light fixtures, and a new stove hood (is that what they are called?)

2 comments:

The Nester said...

you did great and what an ADORABLE family!! xo

Emily A. Clark said...

Looks like a happy place to live :) Thanks for sending the link! Hope you have a great weekend.