Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Secret Place

It seems that in every place I have lived, I have searched for a place to go, a path to serenity. I am no runner, not so athletic, but I do love a long walk with my dogs- especially if the destination is a beautiful one.

In Midland, my mom walks almost every day, and loves to go to the Polo Grounds which are at the edge of our neighborhood- there are horses and flat country for miles, and it really is nice.

When I was in college in Lubbock I would walk the streets north of 44th- I loved the older homes in the neighborhood.

In Dumas I would walk anywhere- the park by the YMCA, the fields by our house or around the school.
Our first apartment in Dallas had a small trail around a lake that I trained at for my first 5k. I loved seeing the family of beavers and the one crane that lived there.

Now, at our home in central Dallas, I have discovered a new favorite walk. Just off the busy street, a few blocks back, is Celestial Park, and further back, White Rock Creek Trail. The first time I discovered it, I felt like I was in the Secret Garden, and I couldn't wait to bring Dillon back. One evening a few weeks ago, Dillon and I walked there with the dogs, and the fireflies were everywhere- magical! These were captured with Dillons iphone so the quality is not the best





No comments: