Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 2, Packed Full



That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”  39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
 40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
 41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!” Mark 4




This is the passage that Dillon and I read to our group on the Sea of Galilee (our leader had people read at every biblical site). Slighly overcast but no rain, and the sea was fairly calm. It was a bit surreal to be in such a famous place, host of such miracles. I savored the boat right so much! 

We journeyed across the sea from Tiberius and arrived to see the 'Jesus' boat, a nearly 2000 year-old boat that was excavated and restored. Neat!


From there, we drove to the traditional site of the Mount of Beatitudes, a monastery is situated there. We had a quick communion service while we were there.


He said:    3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
   for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
   for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
   for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
   for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
   for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
   for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
   11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

After lunch, we stopped at Kursi, the site where Jesus drove the swine off a cliff. The ruins of a Byzantine church now rest at Kursi as well.






Above are the remains of the ornate tile floor, later burned by Romans I believe. Below is the cave at Kursi where the demon possessed men likely could have lived.


When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes,[c] two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. 29 “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”
 30 Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. 31 The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.”
 32 He said to them, “Go!” So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water. 33 Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. 34 Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region. Matt 8

Our next stop was Bethsaida. This is an ancient town recently discovered. It was almost positively where Peter's mother lived. It is mentioned in scripture.

“Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. Luke 10

They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. Mark 8




Our day still wasn't finished! (All of the things we saw this day where in close proximity so we didn't spend much time traveling). We went next to Capernaum, the home of Peter and likely where the first church was, as mentioned in Acts.

Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and on the Sabbath he taught the people. Luke4



 Again- so AMAZING to be in these places that I have read about my whole life. I kept thinking how the images I have always had in my head were literally being replaced with every site we went to.

Our last stop, Tabgha, is the traditional site of the miracle of the multiplication of loaves and fish. The sun was setting as our day came to an end, and the magnitude of where we were really hit me. I walked to the lakeshore and found a large rock, and for a few minutes, soaked it all in. Looking out onto the sea, I could picture Jesus seeing the same sight that I was taking in. I looked at the pebbles and thought about the feet that could have stood on them. Dillon captured one of my favorite pictures of our whole trip here.



Something that was true for my mom and sister, and was true for me when I was here, is that I didn't feel any closer to the Lord than I do at home. This trip was beautiful, eye opening and fascinating- but not necessarily a spiritual journey... It did however, deepen scripture for me which is priceless.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
   Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
   if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
   your right hand will hold me fast. 
Psalm 139

No comments: